Monday, June 20, 2011

Goodbye Season

One of the new and strange realities we have had to adjust to here is how temporary things are. Our contract is for one year. Our students have had a new teacher every year. Our friends (that are 99.9% foreigners ESL teachers) are here for one year. Our house will be our house for one year. Etc, etc, etc. Its been a totally new way of thinking for me.

When Bryan and I agreed to come to South Korea and teach, we signed a one year contract which is what all ESL teachers do to come here. I was so excited to take on this new adventure and see the world, but the phrase 'one year' was always such a daunting thing to me. Now, 10 months later, I have been able to reflect on it what it really meant to me.

All I could think about while signing that contract was how long I would be AWAY from home, away from my friends, away from my comfort zone, away from Mexican food (just being honest)... It didn't hit me until recently that I can now look at that "daunting phrase" in another light. Instead of AWAY, I can now see it as how long I have. The time I have to spend with the friends I have made here. The time I have to connect with and make a difference with my students. The time I have to learn about this culture. The time I have to learn about myself.

The friendships I've made here, and the connections to my students have all been amazing bonuses to what I expected when signing that contract ten months ago. To be honest, I did not know what to expect. I had no idea how many, if any, 'foreigners' lived over here. If I was going to be able to talk to anyone (I knew...and still really know ZERO Korean), or if I would even connect with anyone here besides Bryan. I distinctly remember throwing one of my "Sex and the City" DVDs into my suitcase and thinking, "Well...if all else fails, Ill still have Carrie". (pathetic Amy.. I know) And ps, I think Ive only had to turn to Carrie once, which is saying a lot!


Our contract started in August, but everyone's contracts are different. Starting last month, we had to start saying our goodbyes :(. Stephanie and Erica (in the picture above) threw a "Bling!Bling!Sparkle!" going-away party on the eve of their departure. During a video slideshow they had made, I had to count on all the sequins on my shirt to distract from my teary eyes. They are now both on new amazing adventures, and I am so happy for the being able to meet them and know them here in Busan.


Our dear friend Hayley leaves in just a few short weeks, and then after that the rest of us will all say our goodbyes to this country, this experience, and sadly, to each other. The people I have met here have truly been a gift. They have helped Bryan and I make this new crazy world a temporary home, and have created memories with us that we will always look back on with a smile. They have made me feel more connected to the world as a whole, and have dragged my booty far outside of my little Texas bubble :)

So, going into these final 8 weeks here in Asia, I will focus on embracing what I have in front of me and not what I am away from. I will try whatever crazy Korean food is put in front of me(and even try and smile as the live octopus squirms down my throat). I will embrace the energy that my students have during class, and appreciate being able to spend my days with funny little kids. I will wake up every day thankful to be here, and thankful for the people that I have met along the way- each of them being my teachers in their own way.

Love,
Amy


1 comment:

  1. Perfectly said Amy....it breaks my heart that we will never see most of our students or friends here ever again. So, we're making the most of it while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete