Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gyeongbokgung Palace, Seoul


After work on Friday, my family, Bryan, and I headed north to Seoul for the weekend. Even though it was (way below) freezing there, we were still so happy to be experiencing Seoul for the first time all together!
We took the KTX train there which was AMAZING. Let me just say... I LOVE TRAINS. Most of you know that flyin isn't really my fav...but trains on the other hand...definitely my fav. The KTX goes 200 mph, but you wouldn't know it because it is the smoothest ride ever. I was able to sit back, relax, see the Korean country side pass by, and 2.5 hours later, boom- we were in Seoul!
This city is HUGE..like, massive/mega/ginormous (sp?) huge... so I feel like even after a full weekend, we barely broke the surface of this new land. Luckily for us (Bryan and me)- we are going back there in about a week, so I can see more soon!

(I thought Busan was huge...Busan only has 3 subway lines)

The first place we went was Gyeongbokgung Palace. It was so crazy seeing such a massive piece of history plopped right in the center of a busy, and hugely built up, downtown. This palace was first built in 1394 by the Joseon Dynasty. We each had an audio tour guide and were able to learn some interesting facts about the palace while walking around its' massive grounds.
For example, all of the large flat stones that make up the walk ways are purposely rough and uneven. This way, when the King was looking out at his people during his speeches, the sun would not reflect off of the stones, causing him to frown while addressing his people (so cool!) Also, during the time the walkways were constructed, shoes with smooth leather souls were all-the-rage, and so the rough stones made it harder to slip. Always thinkin, those Koreans..

We also just happened to walk into the palace while their 'changing of the guards' was taking place! Such an awesome thing to witness!






More on Seoul coming soon!
love yall!
Amy



No comments:

Post a Comment