Monday, March 21, 2011

What are you afraid of?

A few times a week I have one-on-one tutoring sessions with students who miss classes. A few weeks ago, I tutored Thomas, an absolutely genius 10-year-old. I really enjoy having him in my class, since his fluency allows us to have conversations about topics outside of the books.
We were studying a book on scary stories when he asked me what I am afraid of. I told him that I am afraid of horses and stray dogs. Horses are HUGE and I've been bitten by 5 different dogs in my life.
Then I asked him. He told me that there is this phone company that you can call and they tell you scary stories for a fee. It seems a little creepy that strangers at a phone company are telling children scary stories, but...it's Korea.
When I asked him, he explained about the company and said this,
"It is very short."
"Ok, perfect." I said.
He answered, "I stand in front of a mirror, play rock, paper, scissors against myself, and win."
........think about it.

1 comment:

  1. It is sat mar 26 and your blog about the smart kid is interesting. I an sending this comment to be sure I remember what to do. Don't have any outstanding news. Noticed that you will be at the wedding of Felice and Tim. Look forward seeing you. Love Grandpa Hal

    ReplyDelete