Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Grass Is Always Greener..

One thing I was not expecting to love over here was the food. I think that came from not knowing much about Korean food prior to coming here (or ever even having it), and making my judgments based on Andrew Zimmer's show "Bizarre Foods" on the Food Channel where he visited Seoul and only ate live octopus and dog (no. thank. you.).

Now after almost 4 months of being here (time is a-flyin!) I have loved almost every Korean dish I have tried. I find Korean food to be very fresh, full of flavor, filling without having that 'too full' feeling, and still super yummy without the overdose of carbs (bread, pasta, chips, fries) that I am used to back home.

Pajeon: a Korean style savory pancake filled with vegetables and various
types of cooked seafood

Galbi: traditional Korean BBQ with marinated beef, served with a million side dishes consisting of various types of Kimchi (picked cabbage), other vegetables, garlic, and other spices.

Bibimbap: a common lunch dish made with rice topped with vegetables,
an egg, and a spicy sauce

Today I had was teaching my middle school class (4 students) and wanted more of a 'discussion' atmosphere instead of the text book "Q and A" so I decided to start a conversation ...about food (duh). I asked the students to tell me their favorite restaurant in Busan (this was somewhat of a selfish prompt so that I could learn more yummy Korean options for Bryan and I to try).

Erin (a girl, answering without hestitation): Outback.
Me: ...as in, Outback... Steakhouse?
Erin: Yes teacher.
Me: Ok...what about you 2 girls?
Sunny and Jenny (answering in unison): VIPS.
Me: Oh ok...what is VIPS? (still holding out for a local Korean fav)
Sunny: VIPS teacher! I LOVE the New York Steak there.
Jenny: Me too teacher! New York Steak..the best!
Sunny: Oh and teacher...their BREAD is THE BEST!!
Me: Ha, I do love me some warm bread and steak.... What about you Erin? What is your favorite dish to eat at Outback?
Erin: awefnakwjenfkwjne (something in Korean to the other 2 girls so they can help her translate to me)
Sunny: Oh teacher...Erin no eat Outback.
Me: But Erin, you said Outback is your favorite restaurant...and you have not eaten there??
Erin: Yes teacher. But I heard it is the best.


Yet another life lesson learned here in Busan. I might be crazy about their food, but turns out they are crazy about our food. The saying must be true: the grass is always greener on the other side :)

Love,
Amy




1 comment: