Thursday, September 9, 2010

Everything's Bigger in Texas

... and everything's smaller in South Korea.



Before coming to South Korea, Bryan and I had a few good chuckles imaging ourselves as GIANTS in this new foreign land we were about to move to. As yall know, Bryan is a tall dude, so there was a pretty big probability of him being one of...if not the, tallest man in Busan. (I tend to exaggerate, but we really did not know what to expect) I thought of myself to be somewhat average until my buddy Melanie told me she "towered over" all of her Korean friends at her fashion school in New York. (Melanie, as yall know, is teeny...so that put me in the "Giant" category in South Korea)
Well, turns out we were sorta right, and sorta wrong. Korean men and woman are actually on average only 2 inches shorter than the average Americans. We have seen a good amount of tall Korean men and women, and by no means have felt like "giants". (phew!)
With that being said, the Korean culture is very conscious of portion control, and does not do anything in excess. I think this is in part because the country is about the size of Ohio and has 50 million people, and partly because of their hyper-aware nature of minimal waste. For example, the soda machines here contain all of the regular soft drinks and gatorades that you would find in an American vending machine, but they are all teeny tiny. Their average can size is what we are use to when we drink Red Bulls. Moderation in sugar and caffeine is always a good thing, but the sizes did come as a surprise at first. Sadly, but for the best, I have had to adjust my soda intake. At home I was a sucker for a nice Big Gulp of icey-diet-coke-goodness..but here, a shot of cold-ish soda will have to do :)

Bryan and I are wrapping up another great week and school! The weekdays have really been
flying by, and we are pumped for the weekend! I hope everyone had a great first week of
September, and please skype us soon! We would love to chat with yall!!

xo,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment