Monday, November 22, 2010

Inside the Box

I learn so many things everyday about Korean culture, that I forget to write them down. However, this past week, I was let in on a new piece of information about the education system.

At our school, we (the native English speakers) usually teach speaking and writing classes. There are obviously a few exceptions. For the most part, it is easiest for us to teach the natural way to speak and write and it is easier for the Korean teachers to teach vocabulary, since they can simply translate it directly, rather than act it out with their hands.

Recently, I have been teaching one of my more advanced writing classes how to write good paragraphs. I'm talking basics, like topic sentence, supporting sentences, and a conclusion to wrap it up in five sentences. I noticed that the more diligent students in the class were taking notes on these basic ideas. So I asked them how their teachers in school teach them writing in Korean. Do they have indentions? How long are the sentences?
They don't.
What I mean is, they DO NOT write in school. EVER. I was blown away. Not in middle or high school. It took some self control not to lose it in class...so I held it in until I could confirm this insanity with my co-teachers.
True.
Korean students never write paragraphs, or essays, or ANYTHING.
All tests are multiple choice.
English, Math, Science, History, and Korean literature classes are all multiple choice.

Even now, I am getting worked up about this.
There is no room for personal voice. No room for intuition, invention, style, or art. Everything is about their precious scores. Did I get %100??!?
And how can you get an accurate, objective score from an essay?? I guess you can't.

I love the people here, but this makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

The quantitive is so vastly superior to the qualitative concerning the education here, that I could scream.

No comments:

Post a Comment