Friday, November 5, 2010

Shake it on Ouut!



When I was preparing for our trip, I had a few tough decisions to make about what to keep and store at my parent's house and what I would have to let go.
After some tough thinking, I decided that I needed the money much more than I needed my turntables, Infinity speakers, and a bunch of other DJ/music equipment.
I ended up selling everything except my Ovation, which will be with me till death....I love that guitar.
I thought that this would mean the last of my djing for a few years, at least.
We arrived in Busan almost three months ago and have been lucky enough to make some great friends who've been amazing in showing us some great weekend party spots. One of our favorites is a spot called Kinoeye. They have DJs playing every weekend, with some great bands every now and then.
A couple weeks ago, my friend Hailey informed me that her friend Gyungbo, of Kinoeye, was looking for a new dj. I was intrigued, but doubtful they had equipment that I would know how to use without much practice. Turns out they use a controller, Serato's Itch, which is virtually the exact program I used to dj with in Austin.
I talked with Gyungbo about some details and ended up getting a gig last week on friday before Halloween!
Here's a pic from exactly a year ago and John Robert, Jarrett, and Worth's Halloween Bonanza....I didn't get any pics from the show last week, but it felt spectacular to be djing again on Halloween weekend.


I was honestly a little nervous, seeing as though I hadn't played in months. I started around 1:30am after this Russian dj. Haha, During his last song, his drunk Russian buddy was trying to help him load up his stuff and he unplugged his disk drive that was playing the current song. Watching two, rather thick, drunk Russian dudes scream at each other in such a harsh language is equally hilarious and scary.
The first twenty minutes were rather dull...people here aren't as receptive to some of my more obscure disco/funk as people back home.
The party got pretty crunk right around 2, and didn't simmer until I had to escape for my bed around 4.
The favorite of the night was definitely: ' We no speak Americano' - Yolanda be Cool


The owner and the bartenders loved the music, so it looks like I'm going back for round 2 next week! So all yall git over heer and lets boogie!

No comments:

Post a Comment