Sunday, February 27, 2011

Korean Orphanage

The other weekend I had a special opportunity to go volunteer at an orphanage in Busan. Although I have done a lot of volunteer work throughout my life, this was my first time at an orphanage. To be honest, I was a little nervous going into it because I did not know what to expect. I am also a highly emotional person (tears spring out of my eyes wayyy too easily), so I was afraid that my emotions would get the best of me in an environment like this.

Luckily, I was wrong- and I had absolutely nothing to be worried about. From the moment I walked in the door, until the moment I left, there was a huge smile was on my face and I was consumed by the happy spirits of these adorable children.

Our group of about 7 volunteers focused our time in an area that had 3 rooms, each containing about 10 children under the age of 5. I spent most of the time in the 'girl' room and had at least 3 precious little kids attached to my hip (arms and legs..) for a 2 hours straight. The rooms did not have any toys in them, so it was literally just us (about 1-4 volunteers at a time) and them enjoying each other's company. These little kids really thrived off of our attention, and were constantly wanting to be held, rocked, or swung around in our arms.

With the exception of 1 girl that was maybe the oldest of the group, these children knew zero English...and unfortunately, I still know about zero Korean. So, it was a very interesting experience interacting with them with basically zero language exchange. Of course when playing with little children, the manner and tone in which you talk to them can communicate the same message without having to know the translation of the words. It was tough a few times when I would find a tiny kid in my lap saying something over and over again to me in a "whiney/I need/want something" tone...and I just couldn't help. They were quick to adjust though and often would just take my hand, and my place in on their ponytails, signifying to me that they just wanted someone to do their hair :)

In talking with some of the other volunteers that day, I learned a lot more about orphanages and the concept of adoption within the Korean culture. I was surprised and saddened to hear that there is adoption within Korean families is extremely rare. Family lineage is such a huge part of the culture here, that it is rare to 'take in' someone to the family that does not share the same blood line. (I have also heard that is an explanation to the low rates of homelessness in the country- families will always take in someone within their family, regardless of the situation).
With that being said, there is a stigma around orphans here that 'there is something wrong with them' since there families would not keep them. This, clearly, is not the case, and in many cases the orphans are in there in the first place because they had to be removed an abusive household when they were just days old.

I was also angered and sad to hear that many orphans are treated differently at schools by their Korean teachers and (in following their role model's example) by the students as well. Many of the orphans view the orphanage as their safe place and the children and
staff there as their family.
The volunteer I was talking with told me that they had recently changed the maximum age of children staying there from 8 to 12 because the children were having such a hard time after leaving the orphanage. At their time of release, the kids then go on to other orphanages geared toward older ages. The most heartbreaking thing she told me was that there are severely high cases of depression and suicide of Korean orphans after the age of 18. They become overwhelmed with the feeling of being an 'outcast' and are in a culture that does not accept them. I find this devastating and hope that over time that stigma vanishes and the Korean culture welcomes these children with open arms.

When writing this blog, I decided to do a little further research online to expand my information sources. I came across a few interesting articles and websites, so if you are interesting in reading further about this- please click the links below.


One of the girls I went to volunteer with is trying to arrange a monthly visit to this Orphanage, so I am really hoping to go back a few more times while I am over here. It was a truly wonderful experience, and I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to go.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend! It is a rainy Sunday here so I plan to be lazy and read the afternoon away :)!

Love yall and miss yall!
Amy

PS:
Visiting this orphanage made my admiration for my dear friend Jenny grow even more. Jenny is currently living in Cape Town, South Africa working at two different orphanages. One is somewhat of a 'half-way house' for girls between their rough life on the streets, and placement into schools and houses within the community. The other is more of a permanent placement for girls. Jenny is so brave to be taking on such a challenging task, and I am in awe of her daily strength through even the most turbulent situations. Love you Jenny!
I highly recommend following her South Africa blog: http://jennyinafrica.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Amy Zimmerman! This brought a real tear to my eye!! You are such a sweetheart, what an incredible shout out to behold...this is such an honor. I love you to pieces girl and I am SO proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete