Sunday, February 20, 2011

Noraebang, a dream come true...

Before arriving in Korea, one of the things I kept hearing about was the Karaoke phenomenon that is widespread in Asia. In Japan it is called Karaoke, but in Korea they call it "Noraebong", which literally translates into "song room".
This concept fascinated me. You mean to tell me that there is a culture where it is a popular pastime to go to a private room and sing your favorite songs with your friends? AND these rooms have costume boxes?? AND you can bring your own food and drinks with you into the room??? Sign . Me . Up.
So, being the list maker that I am, Noraebong quickly made it to the top of my "Korea Checklist". It was a proud moment the other weekend when I was finally able to cross that baby off.
Valentine's Day weekend was also the weekend of two of our good friends, Stephanie and Katelyn's birthdays. A group of us girls had a "pink and red" themed slumber party at Stephanie's place. After the multiple cakes and Birthday cheers, we all made our way to the local Noraebang.

The group we were with was about half Korean and half foreigners. I didn't realize until that night how seriously Koreans take their "noraebang-ing". First of all, all of the songs sang/performed are scored at the end. I have learned since being here how competitive the Korean culture is and singing with your friends in no exception.

The costume box in the room was full of: hats, wigs, fake muscles, and yes..fake boobs.



Also, all the songs we (the foreigners) chose were fun songs from our past, including Spice Girls, TLC, Ricky Martin, etc. The Koreans we were with chose mostly current songs including some seriously slow love ballads. After watching them though, I realized how helpful it must be for them to practice their English. Songs are a great way to learn a language, especially if the words are being posted right in front of you!

(Even though its hard to tell from the pictures because of my camera flash-
the whole room was dark with fun lazer lights and disco ball lights)


The fact that there were only 2 microphones did not stop my friends and I from doing some pretty big group numbers :) We tried to do some spontaneous dance choreography...but, really it just turned into a screaming and laughing rendition of "Turn Around... Every Now and Then I Fall Apart!"


I was able to take a few videos of the night. One of us being silly, and a (much more serious) Korean performance :)



All in all, I am hooked. I want to make sure I go to many more Noraebongs over the next few months, and hopefully be able to drag Bryan to one too!

Love you and miss you!
xoxo,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment